How We Can Help Our Frequently Asked Questions

[click on + to view each answer]

There are generally four types of living situations: independent living, personal care, assisted living, and skilled nursing care. Assisted living provides an “age in place” ability to move in, purchase the services needed and keep increasing services through personal care, skilled care and end of life care. Personal care provides services only between independent living and skilled care, but if a person does not need skilled care, end of life hospice care can be procured.

In a personal care facility, a resident receives assistance with the activities of daily living as needed, such as personal hygiene, medication management, socialization opportunities, meals, housekeeping, laundry, etc. When a physician determines that a person needs a higher level of care (skilled nursing or SNF), the resident must move out of a personal care facility.

When you notice that someone is neglecting essential daily living activities, like bathing regularly, paying bills on time, eating and medicating appropriately, becoming dangerously forgetful, falling, or other worrisome behavior, it might be time to mention these concerns to a physician and/or begin exploring a facility which can provide structure and services to keep someone safe, healthy and functioning to the fullest extent possible.
Make a list of your questions and concerns before you call a facility. If applicable, does the facility allow smoking? Accept wheelchair dependent persons? Allow pets? What are the monthly rates and what does this include? Are there any extras not included in the monthly rate? What is the application process? Have openings at this time? Can I keep my own doctors? Can I take a tour? Depending on an applicant’s needs, ability to pay, and room availability, the facility contact person will delineate next steps for you. Do not be afraid to ask any question.
An individual is responsible for paying for personal care. Medicare and Medicaid do not pay for personal care in a facility. In Pennsylvania, the Personal Care Home Boarding Supplement provides some payment support for very low income individuals. Not all facilities accept this level of payment, as it typically does not cover the full cost of care. For veterans and spouses of veterans, the Aid & Attendance program may provide some financial support. Be prepared to offer full financial disclosure when applying for any assistance in paying for personal care services.

Need More Info?

If you have a question or need additional information please contact us below.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message