Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth
The diocese invited the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth, who were ministering at Mercy Hospital, Altoona, and in several parishes in Central Pennsylvania, to take over the ministry of St. Leonard’s Home. Eight Sisters arrived on December 10, 1947.
Less than a month later, on January 5 1948, Elmer E. Johnson came as the first “guest,” followed by Joseph Brady on January 8 and Mrs. O’Conner on January 11.
On January 11, the first Mass was celebrated in the chapel by Father Louis Hileman, OFM, and Franciscan Fathers continue to minister at Saint Leonard’s Home to the present.